Hall County
Historical Society



Hall County Historical Society
Books for Sale



"History of the First Settlement of Hall County, Nebraska"
by William Stolley
Paper back 6" x 9"    90 pages    Illustrated
First published in German in 1907
Translated into English in 1941


William Stolley was a leader of the first group on immigrants who came from Davenport Iowa to Hall County, arriving on July 4, 1957. The book gives a history of this venture and the early years and hardships following the settlement. $4.67 plus tax




"Platte Valley Chronicles, Tales from Nebraska's Pioneer Trails"
by Dr. Robert N. Manley
Paper back 6" x 9"    278 pages    Illustrated, maps, indexed
Published in 2001


Details the trails followed by the pioneers through Nebraska from the Missouri River west through Nebraska. Particularly follows the Platte River Valley. Well researched and documented by a renowned historian. $9.35 plus tax




"Our Show Houses The History of Movie Theaters in Grand Island, Nebraska" by John Sorensen, revised
2007.
Paperback 7" x 10"    66 pages    Illustrated


A description of all the theaters in Grand Island from the early 1900s to one, the Grand, still showing movies. Many details of architecture, stars who came to Grand Island and special movies that were shown.  $9.35 plus tax




Send check or money order to Hall County Historical Society, PO Box 1683, Grand Island Nebraska 68802. Add 7% tax and $5.00 for shipping charge to all orders.






Cat's Meow



 HALL COUNTY COURTHOUSE Hall County Courthouse - Completed in 1904.
Beaux-arts/classicism/Germanic design source.

LIEDERKRANZ Liederkranz - Built in 1912. A society formed in 1870 for musical and social entertainment.

PLATT DUETSCHE Platt Duetsche - Founded in 1884, has been at the present site since 1910. A social club to support German families.

CATHEDRAL OF THE NATIVITY St. Mary's Cathedral - Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Sandstone. Built 1926-1928.

CAPITOL THEATER Capitol Theater - Interior architecture has artistic blend of Italian, Renaissance, Spanish and Moroccan design. Razed in 1986.

STOLLEY HOUSE Stolley House - Built by William Stolley on the Stolley farmstead. First portion built 1859.

ST. STEPHENS EPISCOPAL CHURCH St. Stephens Episcopal Church - In service since July 1889. Red sandstone brick with Kansas sandstone foundation. Beautiful stained glass windows.

BURLINGTON DEPOT Burlington RR Depot - Built in 1911. Ironspot brick with horizontal bands of Colorado redstone. Passenger depot and freight depot attached with one roof. Restored and in use by the community.

GRAND THEATER Grand Theater - Built in 1937. Art deco interior, neon sign, glass facade front. Restored and currently in use.

GLADE MILLS Glade Mills - Combination steam-powered saw and flour mill owned by Henry Glade in 1884. In 1971 this business became ConAgra.

SHADY BEND Shady Bend - Gas station, grocery store, diner. Built as a "Tourist Haven" originally had 36 cabins also. Built in 1930 on the Lincoln Highway by H. O. (Doc) Woodward

STUHR MUSEUM Stuhr Museum - Stuhr Museum of the Prarie Pioneer is named after Leo Stuhr, local farmer and politician whose parents were some of the original settlers in Hall County. Designed by Edward Durell Stone and established in 1960.


All the Cats Meow can be ordered from Hall County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1683 Grand Island NE 68802. Total cost is $25.00 This includes price of $18.69 plus tax of $ 1.31 plus $5 for shipping and handling. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.

These are made of wood, approximately 8 inches by 6 inches, vary in size. Burlington Depot is slightly longer.